Sunday, May 29, 2011

I have traveled how many miles?

And I feel like I have not left south. I see so many plants and trees that we have in Florida-- like sweet gum. The air is warm and the sun is bright and the grass is green even though it is "winter" here. Also yesterday the University of Pretoria had a rugby game. The traffic was horrid, people were tailgaitng everywhere drinking beer out of blue plastic cups with their faces painted. It reminded me of a Gator game!

Also several men were staying at the hostel for the rugby game. We were all sitting by the fire in the main room of the hostel when they returned red faced and drunk as a skunk. They started talking to me and it was soon apparent how horribly racist they were! It was disgusting. They reminded me of the worst of the "good ole boys" I ran into in the south. It is amazing how the more I travel the more I realize these people are everywhere. It makes me so sad that this way of thinking is pervasive. I feel like I am in Kentucky or something! I can't wait to get out of the city and into the field.

1 comment:

  1. It is sad to realize that prejudices know no boundaries. I actually feel sorry for people like this because it shows how stupid they are.

    ReplyDelete